Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Scorncast | The Hunger Games

FAIR ‘GAMES’ | For this Scorncast tribute (teehee!) to THE HUNGER GAMES, Jasper and co-host Ghostface Millah return to the bibliophobe/fanboy dynamic they introduced the first time they discussed a blockbuster movie culled from a bestselling novel. Ghostface totally hearts Suzanne Collins’ Hunger Games book series, but Jasper ain’t got time for this readin’ shit, which enables the guys to complementarily gauge the film’s successes as both a fan-pleasing adaptation (not bad) and its own cinematic entity (pretty good). Plus: There’s a call for more graphic child-on-child violence, Ghostface gets steamed about half-assed bird symbology, and Jasper learns how crackerjack cake-decoration skills can help you survive a perilous situation. Click the Scorncast banner below to listen!

Rating: PG-13. Running time: 142 minutes.


Scorncast #43: May the Scorn Be Ever in Your Favor (31:36)

original music by Bug

3 comments:

  1. The most important element I felt the movie was missing was that Katniss and Peeta were very aware they were being watched by an audience on television. I know that it was glossed over, but as I remember the book Katniss makes a lot of her decisions during the actual Hunger Game based on how they would play with the audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point, Lacy! I feel like folks who didn't read the books
      really missed a lot of the calculation and background of the games, as
      far as the decisions Katniss and Peeta made (and how Katniss didn't
      trust Peeta, because she couldn't tell how much of it was for show).

      Delete
    2. ...which is exactly what my approach would be if I was cast on Survivor or any other reality show. (Which would never happen, but still.) I don't get why people — like Colton or Alicia, for example, because they're fresh in the mind — say awful/racist/derogatory shit that ultimately leads to a severely uncomfortable I'm-not-really-like-that apology tour. Hello, you are saying this shit to VIDEO CAMERAS.

      (I already outed myself as a Survivor fan on this episode. I guess there's no turning back now.)

      (Also: Sorry. I haven't read the book, but I wanted to contribute something to this discussion anyways. It's exciting when we get comments on this thing.)

      Delete